Monday, September 7, 2009

Social Media Revolution

Social Media has taken over the world! It has turned obsolete carriers like marketing by out ranking them and becoming more efficient. In a world where technology dictates the future, how can we be more prepared in order to avoid becoming obsolete? What can schools do to help us become efficient members of our communities and the future leaders without being left behind by technological advances? And how can we protect ourselves from social media?
To be completely honest, I repel technology. Whether it's phones, computers, cameras, or video games; I truly suck. But the problem with this is that technology is becoming such an important part of this world that it's nearly impossible not to be absorbed by it. Universities are recruiting people via e-mail and Facebook, not even bothering with letters or phone calls. Even though technology is helping save more trees, which I'm really glad for, it's also opening a very dangerous door for people who want to take advantage of the information that's on the net. Every day I get e-mails from unknown people who would like to become my friend on Facebook, or e-mails from colleges that I've never even heard of. How can we know for certain that what we open is not a virus, or a window for other users to see our personal information? The only way I see to protect myself is not by not using the internet, but by putting as little of my personal information as I can and by being very careful of what I post and the content and privacy of it.
I believe that in order for us to become more efficient adults it's very important to learn more about technology. First of all schools shouldn't block things like Facebook or Youtube, because if we can't understand something, we can't ask! We need to update and learn about more tricks and ways to improve ourselves through technology, to gain more information and therefore be more prepared.

6 comments:

  1. You stated the problem very clear, and gave solutions to it too. You must recall that without technology you are completely apart from society. Things have changed, and so if you dont adapt to them, your are LOST. So to conclude, I really enjoyed this educational essay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola china, Welll your essay is good but you have to be careful to not be soo extreme. If you wnated you could have lived without technology, it was your choose. I like your different points of view. I also like that you are aware that the technology can be dangerous and that you protect yoursef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was excellent. I like how you are truly involved in Social Media. I also like the fact that you are aware of the multiple dangers, and that you know of how to protect yourself from them. Congratulations!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem you stated was pretty much clear and i could see that you really understood it. I agree with you in the fact that technology is growing way too much, and that is a little dangerous because people abuse of the information given from each person. A good criteria, although you shouldn't be so extreme with your comments, but overall pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with Marifer said, I also suck with anything that has to do with technology. But like it or not you have to learn about it if you want to become an active member of society. The way she wrote about the problem and her opinion were completely clear and in perfect format. Besides I like the fact that se brought up a comment that has to do with helping the ecology, which is true. She successfully combined social media with her main topic, going green. Well done! love u hubby jajaj!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, love the post. I don't think your words are too harsh cause you make it clear that your actions are less (you are involved in fb, etc.). Kinda weird that we used to apply to colleges...are they now applying to us?? What does that mean on the biggie??

    ReplyDelete